Last week, EA confirmed the existence of Star Wars: Squadrons (formerly known as Project Maverick) after an Xbox.com splash page leaked to the masses.
Today, as a part of Geoff Keighley’s Summer Game Fest, EA officially debuted the first trailer for their next EA Star Wars title. Enjoy:
Couple things right off the bat:
- FUCK YEAH BABY!
- I already love that this story clearly is going to take place from two Squadrons’ perspectives. Star Wars Battlefront II’s campaign did an awesome job reflecting how Stormtroopers actually viewed the Empire, and I hope we get more of that in Squadrons.
- The fact that this is New Republic era (between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens) is AWESOME. You hear one pilot say “for the New Republic”, and another say “we will have revenge”, so clearly the wounds from the Galactic Civil War are still fresh.
- We get a Trandoshan pilot to play as! That rules!
- Say what you want about EA, but they know how to cut a trailer.
Obviously, this is still “in-engine footage”, and we don’t know much more than those two minutes and six seconds, but boy what an electric 2:06 that was. Squadrons will have a standalone story, as well as 5v5 multiplayer. The game is slated for October release, and will only cost $39.99. According to the official EA website, it also features Cross-Play, and PSVR support.
Keep it locked here, because I’m foaming at the mouth for more info on Squadrons, and will post anything as it continues to trickle out.
EDIT: 6/15/20, 11:21AM – Dom here. Told ya. Some more details have begun trickling out. Here’s more of what we know.
Squadrons’ single player campaign takes place after the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War in Return of the Jedi. You’ll alternate between two new characters – both “customizable” pilots – one a member of the New Republic’s Vanguard Squadron, and the other for the Galactic Empire’s Titan Squadron. The story is said to feature all-new characters, but will also have cameos from “familiar” faces from the Star Wars universe.
Through the collaboration of the teams at Motive and Lucasfilm, we’ve been able to create a high-fidelity starfighter experience with an authentic storyline that invites Star Wars fans to explore never-before-seen corners of the galaxy in their own ship. We’re excited to show all this in action this week at EA Play Live.Ian Frazier from EA Motive, via press release.
EA has also confirmed that ALL cosmetic and gameplay-related upgrades are earned solely by playing through playing the game.
Players can trick out their starfighters with new weapons, hulls, engines, and shields however they want – and can use cosmetics to customize their cockpit, ship exterior, and actual pilot. If this is a dream, don’t wake me up.
This is a developing story. More details may be added as they are unveiled.
Latest posts by Papa Dom (see all)
- If This Can’t Be My Setup While Playing Star Wars Squadrons, Then I Don’t Want It - September 23, 2020
- T-Pain’s New Twitch Intro Is Absolutely Electrifying - September 23, 2020
- Happy Monday: Xbox Acquires ZeniMax Media, Bethesda Softworks - September 21, 2020