Listen, I’m not sure what else you really need information-wise aside from what’s in the title, because I’m 100% already sold on this game.
Star Wars: Hunters is the upcoming mobile/Nintendo Switch exclusive arena battler from Lucasfilm Games and Zynga. In the game, set shortly after the fall of the Galactic Empire, players can duke it out as one of nine all-new and unique characters. The game has already been touted (and sometimes written off) as a Star Wars-y Overwatch clone, but given the amount of heart and detail put into the game’s setting and characters already, I’m not so sure we should be Jedi hand-waving away this one just yet.
The new cinematic above highlights each of the new characters, all of whom have a short bio over on the Star Wars: Hunters website. In case you’re too lazy to click, here’s a quick rundown of who’s on the roster:
- Grozz – A Wookiee warrior that wields a pair of severed droid arms for weapons.
- Aran Tal – The obligatory Mandalorian.
- Utooni – Two jawas in a trenchcoat / my president.
- J-3DI – A droid wielding a lightsaber who believes himself to be a real Jedi.
- Rieve – A cool-looking sith warrior.
- Imara Vex – Another bounty hunter, kinda looks like the Haxion Brood from Jedi: Fallen Order.
- Slingshot – An Ugnaught riding a tricked-out droideka.
- Sentinel – A Stormtrooper with a big ass heavy blaster rifle.
- Zaina – A Rebel soldier.
Yesterday’s Apple Event gave us the first-ever look at Star Wars: Hunters’ gameplay, and it definitely lives up to the arena combat titles that have come before it.
My biggest question for this, is whether or not the game will feature any type of story mode. The website says that users do not need a Nintendo Switch Online account to download or play the game, so that somewhat implies that there’s got to be some sort of story or single-player component to it. I won’t hold my breath, but that’s just an assumption.
With a colorful cast of characters, a fun setting, and two Jawas in a goddamn trenchcoat, I’m willing to give Star Wars: Hunters a spin – even if it isn’t typically my thing.
We’ll find out if Star Wars: Hunters is the chosen one or just another pathetic life form when it drops in 2022.
- It’s New CoD Season, So I Once Again Present To You The Call of Duty Circle of Life - August 17, 2022
- GTA 6 is “Well Underway” and Promises To “Set Creative Bars For Entertainment” According To Publisher - August 10, 2022
- This Fan-Made NBA 2K23 MyCareer Trailer Has Had Me Crying Laughing For Roughly Six Hours - August 9, 2022