Elder Scrolls Online’s Global ‘Oblivion’ Reveal Event Brings The Heat And Hellfire
The Elder Scrolls Online’s 2021 Global Reveal Event is officially in the books. Live from their Twitch page, ZeniMax Online Studio’s Matt Firor, Bethesda’s Pete Hines, and ESO’s Creative Director (and friend of the program) Rich Lambert hopped in to discuss all the new worlds, features, systems, and more coming to the game in 2021.
Hot off the heels of last year’s Greymoor expansion (which I loved) and the year-long Dark Heart of Skyrim storyline (which was rad), the ZOS and Bethesda teams took to Twitch to roll out one hell (get it) of an announcement showcase for ESO’s newest DLC, Blackwood, and the Gates of Oblivion year-long story event.
Let’s start with the trailer, shall we?
First of all, it moved.
Secondly, this DLC looks excellent. Being completely transparent, I actually was doing a lot of thinking about what the Gates of Oblivion DLC would be like, and was honestly a little worried that we were getting more Daedra-focused storylines. It seemed to me that the same grayish/purplish/bluish palettes and their accompanying Daedra-flavored quests were being overused to begin with in ESO, but then this trailer came through and kicked my teeth in with lots of flaming, hellfirey demonic goodness. Consider my words fully consumed.
Having said all that, here’s a quick rundown on all the new stuff to be excited about from the showcase, including 30+ hours of new story content.
Gates of Oblivion Year-Long Story Event Breakdown:
- Flames of Ambition (3/8 for PC/Mac/Stadia, 3/16 for Xbox One and PS4)
- Blackwood (6/1 for PC/Mac/Stadia, 6/8 for Xbox One and PS4)
- Unannounced Q3 DLC dungeon pack (date TBD)
- Unannounced Q4 DLC story zone (date TBD)
Blackwood Chapter Features:
- A new zone: Blackwood (obviously)
- A new 30+ hour storyline that ties into the Gates of Oblivion event
- NPC Companions come to ESO for the first time to travel/adventure/fight with you
- New Trial, delves, dungeons, world bosses, and side quests
- New “Oblivion Portals” world events, like we get with every new DLC
- Updates and quality-of-life improvements
Let me just say this – the way the ZOS and Bethesda teams engage their fans and community with every single ESO announcement is just so intimate, genuine, and exciting – it truly is beyond compare. There really are very few teams who do it like they do, and its awesome to see so many people flooding the Twitch chat with excitement every time they do something like this.
The Elder Scrolls Online’s “Gates of Oblivion” event kicks off with the Flames of Ambition DLC, coming on 3/8 to PC/Mac/Stadia, and 3/16 for Xbox One and PS4. Hell yeah.
P.S. – If you don’t think I’m CRANKING the DOOM: Eternal soundtrack every time I encounter one of these Oblivion Portals, you’re out of your mind.
- I Step Away For One Week And The Whole Website Crashed - May 5, 2023
- WGG Monthly Game Giveaway: APRIL! - April 13, 2023
- Twitch Lays Off 400 Employees Just Days After Losing Their CEO - March 20, 2023